Part 3 presentation tools
Engagement activity 1. A: Basic PowerPoint
“More than a presentation tool.”
After completing the online tutorial I began to create a
PowerPoint presentation for learning. I had decided to create a basic
presentation on the life cycles of butterflies that could be shown to an early
childhood cohort. When I completed my time at school PowerPoint was really the
only form of presentation that was available on our computers. PowerPoint 10 years ago also had limited tools
and functions to create presentations.
As I shy away from creating PowerPoint,
I thought I would look at the online tutorial and see if I can remember anything.
Please see below link for PowerPoint tutorial.
After completing the online tutorial- I learnt some new
techniques that enhanced the “old” PowerPoint I thought I knew all about. I
used a variety of tools from changing background design to transitioning
slides, hyper linking images to link to different pages, inserting images and
creating animations for the images. I added sound to the presentation and even
made the PowerPoint presentation work without a user clicking the mouse.
I felt the tutorial was highly valuable as it gave hints and
tips towards tools in PowerPoint that I never knew existed. This enhanced my
learning presentations, becoming more engaging and interesting for the
students.
Within the classroom PowerPoint can be a fantastic digital tool
to enhance and support learning. Not only can the learning manager use PowerPoint
to present information and engage learning, this digital tool can be used by students
to create their own presentations and resources.
Students can create talking story books, slide shows of
spelling words and meanings (these can be linked to images and sounds.)
Students can create games for each other using any subject for example maths
games, history quizzes etc. The possibilities are endless with PowerPoint- all
you need is a little imagination and creativity.
As a learning manager, I feel that PowerPoint is an
excellent digital tool for beginner students learning the art of digital
technologies. The windows based program is user friendly, easy to follow and fun.
The students can create their own presentations in groups, individually or even
as a class.
A simple lesson on the tools and functions would be
required, then allowing the students to experiment and investigate the tools
and their uses.
The ability to save, export, print, share and upload
PowerPoint presentations make this digital tool a great classroom resource.
To upload the PowerPoint I created a Slide Share account that allowed me to upload the file and add it to my Blogger. This was fast and easy and allows me to share this digital technology via multiple programs.
Engagement activity 2: Interactive PowerPoint
This PowerPoint that I created is a game that I created for the students to complete. It can be used as a formative assessment task to check the students knowledge and understanding relating to a topic. I created a very simple 2 question game that the students can interact with to apply their knowledge from a technology lesson. This tool is a great way to engage the students- playing a game, yet learning in the process. The lesson could follow on with the students creating their own challenges in relation to the topic they have just learnt. It can lead into higher order thinking skills where the students apply their knowledge and then create their own. This was very fun to create.
Once again I uploaded the PowerPoint onto Slide Share and embedded the code into my Blogger. This was very user friendly and fast. I did found however that the activity would not become interactive via slide share. I attempted to upload through Scribe- but this form also did not upload the presentation as an interactive game. I am continuing to learn about the different programs that will allow this presentation to become virtually interactive on a Blogger. The learning continues...
Engagement Activity 4: Creating a zooming presentation in Prezi
As a learning manager I
have found that Prezi is one of the best digital tools to present and teach
information. It allows the learner some control over what they learn and what
they see. Prezi allows the viewer to zoom into different components of the
presentation.
Image retrieved from: http://prezi.com/presskit/
Prezi is a free online
site that allows you to choose templates or create your own presentation.
The first time I ever
used Prezi I was a little overwhelmed. It took a while to get used to the
sequence and the tools that you can use. Once I stated however I was hooked.
Prezi can be embedded
into multiple online sites and can be shared online. There is also an app that
I have on my mobile phone to view and share Prezi’s via mobile.
In the classroom Prezi
is a great tool to engage your learners into a new topic. Much like PowerPoint
it can be used for games, learning, teaching and creating.
Students can make their own stories, assignment, presentations and games relating to any topic. Presentations can be made for assessment, for parent teacher nights, can be used for exhibitions of students work, can be used within the classroom for instructions and informing students and parents of happenings in the classroom. The uses are endless. Once again Prezi can be used throughout all areas of the curriculum, you just need to be a little creative and the possibilities are endless.
Students can make their own stories, assignment, presentations and games relating to any topic. Presentations can be made for assessment, for parent teacher nights, can be used for exhibitions of students work, can be used within the classroom for instructions and informing students and parents of happenings in the classroom. The uses are endless. Once again Prezi can be used throughout all areas of the curriculum, you just need to be a little creative and the possibilities are endless.
Below are a few
examples of Prez’s that I have created for learners.
Engagement Activity 4: Creating a Glogster
I have never created a
Glogster before so I went into this week’s tasks with excitement and a little
worry as I have heard average comments relating to this digital tool. This
however was not going to put off at all!
I decided to create a Glogster- about Glogster and how it can be used within the classroom.
I tried all the tools, uploading You-Tube clips, images and photos.
After using Glogster, I was thinking of all the learning experiences that I could create with students using this digital tool. I loved it and though it was easy to use, fun, engaging and the possibilities were endless.

No comments:
Post a Comment