This week’s activity involved participating in an online collaborative
wiki relating to the highly debatable discussion topic of “mobile phones within
the classroom.” The activity is designed within an online space to model an
approach to collaborative learning.
The activity incorporated De Bono’s six thinking hats to
scaffold learning when contributing to the online wiki. Incorporating the TPACK
framework the activity allows the learner to engage with complex thinking. Bloom’s
taxonomy of higher order thinking identifies levels of knowing from simple to
complex. Below is an example of Blooms hierarchy within the digital realm.
In the classroom the goal is always to create complex thinking.
In the classroom the goal is always to create complex thinking.
This learning experience forced me to delve into the unfamiliar
and slightly uncomfortable methods of higher order thinking. As I am a strong
positive person who always looks into life with creativity and hope, taking on
certain “hats” within this learning experience ensured that I looked into this
topic from all sides of the spectrum.
This activity within the classroom is an excellent learning
tool when teaching students about different perspectives. Students are using
higher order thinking skills to support facts relating to the “hat” they are
wearing. The "Six Thinking Hats" allows the learner to identify the positives and negatives relating to a topic. It is scaffolding of thinking that makes is such a valuable resource within the classroom.
The design and purpose of an online wiki, creates collaborative
discussion using digital technology. This method of learning can stimulate
ideas, engage learners, expands their knowledge and creates meaningful experiences.
The learning theories behind this activity are based on
social constructivism and connectivism. Social constructivism is the theory
that social interaction positively influences learning. This theory combined
with the learning theory for the digital age “connectivism” created the 21st
century way of learning.
The learning "Wiki" forum was easy to navigate and was found to be user friendly. The ability to copy and paste a word document into the wiki made the process simple for a first time user. Users need to ensure that when editing the wiki they are considerate to others posts and to ensure they do not delete others work.
I personally found this activity challenging and engaging. Using digital technology created a platform that allowed students from all over Australia to collaboratively work together and share ideas. As I changed from hat to hat my thoughts, opinions and ideas changed and how I originally looked at the statement.
I personally found this activity challenging and engaging. Using digital technology created a platform that allowed students from all over Australia to collaboratively work together and share ideas. As I changed from hat to hat my thoughts, opinions and ideas changed and how I originally looked at the statement.
I just learnt!
Imagine what my students could learn!

Lucy,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your reflection on this week tasks. Excellent link to the TPACK framework it is a valuable resource for us pre-service teachers to be aware.
Great to hear you stepped outside of your comfort zone to use the different ‘hats’. They are a great higher order thinking tool for students to use to identify positives and negatives.
I definitely agree with you, what a great learning experience this would be for our students!
Eliza